By every indication, Israel and the Jewish People should have been extinguished from the world stage more than 2500 years ago. In every generation and in every location, Jews have prayed for thousands of years, “Enemies seek to destroy us and God has saved us.”
The very existence of the State of Israel — warts and all — is as miraculous as the survival of one of the oldest peoples on Earth in the face of implacable enemies.
Today, on the Inside Scoop, the story of Jewish renewal and rebirth in their Judean homeland (from which they were named) in the face of fierce odds. Like the Arabs of Arabia, the Indians of India, and virtually all national, anti-colonial movements, Israel was born in fierce bloodshed, fighting simultaneously the British and the Arabs.
For a fascinating account of Israel at age 10, check out this interview between Mike Wallace and Abba Eban, Israel’s ambassador to the United States 50 years ago. Try to ignore the cigarette commercials.
More below in the comment I post.
Guest: Sarah Posner, author of God’s Profits: Faith, Fraud and the Republican Crusade for Values Voters
Who says Republicans don’t like Big Government?
They love it, when it helps the wealthy…
Guest: Economist Dean Baker, Author of The Conservative Nanny State: How the Wealthy Use the Government to Stay Rich and Get Richer and Co-Founder and Co-Director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research, will discuss his book and the current mortgage crisis.
Despite the squeaker in Indiana last night, it’s over for Hillary.
Also the memory of Mildred Loving, who took on Virginia’s law against interracial marriages in 1967. Before she died, Loving endorsed the equal right of gay people to marry as well.
And other news of the week…
- 11/26/2014Marion Barry, Immigration, Ferguson, Hagel, and Cosby [IS]
- 11/24/2014Debate on Immigration [News Channel 8]
- 11/19/2014Google Knows [IS]
- 11/17/2014Much Ado Over Gruber [Hannity]
- 11/16/2014Will Repubs Shut Down Gov’t Again? [News Channel 8]
- 11/14/2014Will Supreme Court Kill Obamacare? [NV]
- 11/12/2014Low 2014 Election Turnout; Supreme Court Takes On ObamaCare (Again) [IS]
- 11/7/2014Wake Up, Democrats! [NV]
- 11/5/2014Midterm Madness [LM]
- 11/4/2014Election Day [Australian Radio]
- 11/3/2014Midterms, Ebola, and ISIS [News Channel 8]
- 11/2/2014Pre-Election Night Inside Scoop TV
- 10/31/2014Scared Yet? [NV]
- Older Archives